BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Our good ole' stinky laundry

I've written this post a hundred times and haven't posted it. I guess cause I'm not sure if I am just hanging out our dirty laundry for you all to see. But my heart's intention is nothing like that. I want you to know the struggles of making a family...a family. I want you to know that adoption is not easy, at all. That is not the same as saying it is not worth it. I am not saying she was not worth it. I am saying that it is hard work, not for the faint of heart. It is "easy" to think you are prepared. But I don't think you ever really are. Human beings are much too complicated to be figured out in some "owners" manual. Adoption is based out of a loss. A loss to our children. It's complicated and messy. So I want to share my struggles to shed light on our reality of bringing home our little girl. Of our little girl coming with us, total strangers, on a big long flight to America...who brought not one thing with her from her country. No teddy bear from home, no special blanket or clothes. Nothing from the place she had called home her whole life. You've heard of the "honeymoon" right? The time when all is really going well and you think the books really had no idea and you've found the child, the one who is the exception to the rule. Your child is adjusted and well bonded...in two weeks. Until week 3 or maybe day 3 for some of you. And then reality hits. You know reality must hit but somehow you hoped it wouldn't apply in this situation. For me I wanted Major Cutie to grieve, I was looking for it, expecting it. I figured we'd have bigger issues if she never grieved at all. I thought I would recognize it because I read about it...or one child's reaction to grief and figured that is what I'd see. One hour a day I thought Major Cutie would grieve. I thought she would cry and I would hold her and love her and she would still cry but not alone. Major Cutie never did that. She grieved her own way, one I didn't recognize at first. I am not sure I can identify the times she grieved or how she grieves but these are some of the things we have experienced...
*We had about 3 weeks where lots of lieing accured. Thanks be to God that is just about history. For the most part Major Cutie's pretty honest. She does pray at night that, "Jesus, no (insert her name here)lie."
*Food can sometimes be an issue. The first two weeks she ate ANYTHING I would give her. Then she started getting really picky. I tried to keep my thoughts about eating at a low so as not to give her something to be "in control" about. For the most part she eats a variety of foods.
*Clothes are a major ordeal for her. So much so that I choose two outfits out a day and she can choose from those two. She would cry and be so mad at first if they weren't jeans...all the time. But now she choses and only occasionally complains. She also can get pretty grumpy about what coat she has to wear. All things that took me by surprise. I just figured she would be grateful for any coat or any outfit. But it just isn't so.
*All boundries are tested. All of them. And this has just about been constant for the last four months. So you can see how that might get tiring. It seems it is letting up a bit though. Another Praise!
*There has been lots of arguing with her siblings about things that are petty and true. For example, you can say the snow is white and she'll say it isn't. This causes a great deal of spats with her siblings. Nothing unlike any other childish behavior except this went on for weeks and weeks, probably on every subject, constantly. Now it happens less often. My take on this is that she just wanted to be right about anything. Think about it...she came here and "everyone" knew more that she did.
*We've had one really bad experience that left me questioning what I had done. And that experience lasted a whole day. Grieving? Maybe. But very difficult none the less. That day left me struggling and I'm not sure how much detail to give but Major Cutie wasn't very "cute" that day. She pushed boundries with her words using them to offend me, she grabbed toys away from a child she had never met and then out of anger threw the toy across a play table,she called my mom "her mom" along with telling me who her mom is...and it wasn't me...it happened just one day. But it took me days to get over it. I struggled to forgive her. I know that is childish, but it was a very hard experience for me and just being honest, I struggled to forgive her. I wondered if I was experiencing depression and if I really could bring this child through her pain out to the other side. Without Jesus I know I can't. But He has promised not to leave me. Not to leave Major Cutie. Ex.14:13. Stand your ground...The Lord Himself will fight for you. Heb. 13:5 I will never leave or forsake you.
So there you have a bit of it. A look at some of our dirty laundry. It isn't pretty and sometimes pretty stinky. But I'm heaping it all on the Lord for I know He is able. II Cor. 9:8

15 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for putting it out there - I think openness about all of the adoption process, the good and bad, and the very difficult, is invaluable to all of us.

We haven't brought our little one home yet, but I did gain an instant family when I married my husband, and there were days where the girls and I didn't get along at all. But familiarity breeds comfort, and comfort breeds love.

Hoping to meet you in the not-so-distant future!

stacnjul said...

Oh Jen,
Thank you for your honesty! Like I told you before I had a really hard time with not really having a "honeymoon period" and your words really helped me through those rough emotions, so thank you for that too:) Hope to chat soon!
~Julia

Anonymous said...

Reading about your dirty laundry was very refreshing to me! Thank you! Even though our son has been home for almost 2 years we still from time to time experience some of these same things.

Sarah

Jana said...

Wow--Thanks for your honesty....Thankfully Jesus is the rock!! Your daughter is so precious--I will be praying for you guys when I check your blog!

Anonymous said...

HI Jen... I read you blog from time to time...and now that Carlos has been home for 3 weeks..I can so relate to your honesty and your words. I am waiting for Carlos honeymoon phase to end ~ and the fun begin..he he he! Thank you for your honesty!
What would we do without Jesus...I cant even imagine!
Blessings to you and your family!
Karen

David & Jill said...

Jen, seriously, start working on your book. You really have a way with words, and I appreciate your transparency. Thank you for sharing!

Jill

Anonymous said...

Jen-
Thanks again for reaching out to me and then in turn sharing some of your story. LIke I said I have searched high and low to find others who have struggled in some way related to adoption, not that I want people to struggle, but more that I don't want to feel alone. Adoption is hard and I am glad that I am not alone. Like you said I am not sorry I have done it, but I just wasn't prepared. WHo knows maybe that is all part of the journey of depending on GOd. THanks again and talk to you soon. Traci

Mackinac-opoly said...

This was a great post to read. Our daughter from Guate was only 5 mo. old when she came home, & even though she had some grieving to do (& she did), it was not the same as bringing home a preschooler.

I am trying to prepare myself now for our soon-to-be daughter who is 3. She won't be coming from another country, but our "world" will still be strange to her. I think it's good to hear about the struggles of adoption, because there are many, but it's so vital to have that wrapped up in Jesus. He makes all the difference in working out the issues & He will bring us to the place of peace. Adoption is so close to His heart.

Thanks again for sharing.
Blessings,
Beth (from CAFEkids)

A Team said...

Thanks Jen... I love that you wrote that. It is so good for us adopting!
Thank you for being transparent.

Tracie

Don't Mess With Mommy said...

Jen, Thank you for your post. "And we[a] rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." Romans 5:2-4 Peace.

Jesse and Amy said...

thanks Jen...your honesty is always appreciated & so helpful! you are an angel to all of us!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your honesty. I believe that God has called us to adopt an older child, but we don't necessary think that it will be easy. Hearing other's stories helps us prepare to care for our daughter, once she is home.

Thanks,

Michelle Riggs

Murphy Momma said...

Ditto Jen. The funny thing is I prefer to think on the positive so I often think it's going SO well. As I read your post it reminded me I experience those same feelings at times but it IS oh, so worth it.
Sharon

Darcy said...

Oh my gosh. You could have been writing about our adoption of a 22 month old from China. I think you hit it right on the nose. Our daughter NEVER grieved in the normal cry it out way either. Instead, she would draw a line in the sand and be horrible and mean and obnoxious and she had to be right all the time! I'm so glad to see you are looking for the signs and you are monitoring yourself. I went through some post adoption depression and didn't even realize it til after the storm had passed.
We are 2 1/2 years home and it is passing, there is hope. I can't imagine life now without all 3 of my kids.
Thanks for sharing.

The Elliott Family said...

I couldn't have found this at a more perfect time. Keep being honest and thanks for letting me know that I am not alone.